The Tuition Assistance (TA) program provides financial assistance for voluntary off-duty education programs in support of a Soldier’s professional and personal self-development goals. TA is available for courses that are offered in the classroom or by distance learning and is part of an approved academic degree or certificate program. Further details on the provisions of TA are found in AR 621-5 and policy documents signed by the Director, Army Continuing Education System.
All eligible Soldiers will request TA through ArmyIgnitED. FTA can be requested as early as 60 days prior to the class start date.
Steps to request TA:
- Register for classes at your education institution (EI)
- Request TA via ArmyIgnitED
- Know your EI payment deadlines
- Request either an EI payment plan if necessary or EI payment extension/exception if qualified
- Submit approved TA classes in ArmyIgnitED for processing before EI payment deadline
- Pay all other balances not covered by TA to the EI before payment deadline
Please note this important information regarding using TA:
- TA covers tuition only. TA will not cover fees and other charges. Students must pay fees and other charges (room, board, etc.) prior to posted payment deadlines.
- Students who fail to request their approved TA and pay outstanding balances will be dropped for non-payment.
- Students are responsible for ensuring that they have not exceeded their maximum allowable annual credit or tuition cap for TA and that classes they are using TA for are TA-eligible courses.
- If your Tuition Assistance is rejected by ArmyIgnitED the balance remains a student debt. You will be responsible for paying tuition balances that are rejected.
- FTA requests must be submitted NO LATER THAN seven (7) days before the class start date per the guidance from ArmyIgnitED.